Sunday 12 January 2014

Windscreen - Part 2

Cold today but I wrapped up well and headed into the garage. First thing to go was a section of the rotten upper (inner) windscreen surround, which took a bit of thinking about as I didn't want to accidentally misalign the holes for the interior mirror, sun visors etc. So in the end I left those in situ and cut around them.

After a cuppa I cut a new repair panel from a spare screen surround. It was important to get it to fit right so I used self-tapping screws to hold it in place before stitching it in.
The new one is at the top.
 
This is looking up at the area where the interior mirror would be, but the car is on its side. The old bit is cut out...
 
...and the new section welded in.
The welding went really well but as ever this never shows on photos! The zinc primer also makes the welding look worse in pics. By the way, the plug welding around the outer edge isn't finished yet - I just ran out of time. But next time I will grind everything down and make it look nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment