Monday 14 April 2014

Bodywork

When I was little I would spend many a happy Sunday helping my dad with his car's bodywork. I loved being let loose on such a big and expensive thing, and that he trusted me to fill his Renault 20's sills with chicken wire. Even better, I got to play with fibreglass matting and - even better - plastic body filler.

To this day I love using filler, even if I only now use it for its proper purpose of subtly re-shaping panels or filling the odd dent. So, you can imagine how much I enjoyed this weekend as I did a bit of TR7 bodywork fettling.

The work is mainly around the arches and rear lower sill areas, which need some attention after new panels have been fitted. By the way, being able to turn the car upside down for this does have its considerable advantages, although I concede that the photos might look a bit odd.

One upside down TR7.
Blending of the rear lower sill and the wheel arch.
And the other side.

Looking into the near side rear wheel arch. The right way up.
I also finally got onto an outstanding job, which was to strip out the underseal from the nearside front inner wheel arch and get it painted up. Once again Hammerite was used over seam sealer and zinc primer.

Sealed and primed.
Painted.

2 comments:

  1. Hi John, looking good! Which seam sealer have you used?

    Regards, Kent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kent, yours too. I use the 2.5ltr subs from Halfords - can't remember what it is called but is supposedly brushable. It's ok when warm and new, but after a while it is like trying to brush on chewing gum.

    ReplyDelete