Monday 21 December 2015

Subframe - Part 1

What do you think of my subframe? I hope you like it, as I am really pleased with it. The grotty old thing was degreased, then gone over with a flap disc in the grinder.

Incidentally, I saw one of these on ebay at the weekend, second-hand and from a dealer, at an asking price of circa £150. It was very secondhand. Isn't that astonishing? It made me think how much can be saved by re-using the car's original parts.

On a similar theme, and digressing for a moment, I want to tell you a story. Many years ago I restored a Rover 2200TC, which was a fab car. I replaced everything and improved it in every way, even down to putting in a leather interior. When it was painted it gleamed and drew envious looks. But do you know what? I couldn't bond with it after that because I had "restored out" all of its character. It had none of the original car's personality left - it was like I had erased its history and memory. It was sold within weeks of completion.

I mention that story because I learned a lesson, and am applying it to the TR7. So, for example, the subframe isn't new - it is the one that came with car and it still has some dents from where it has been jacked up in the past. Sure, when the subframe is painted it will be totally lovely, but its history will remain. All those little dings tell stories of the past, and I won't rob the car of them. The same goes for as much of the car as possible.

Anyway, once the frame was rubbed down a couple of coats of etch primer had it looking smart again. Next step is to spray it satin black, with some stone-chip on the side which faces the road.



No comments:

Post a Comment