Saturday 31 March 2018

Paint Prep - News!

Sometimes we have lofty ambitions which cannot be realised. Back in April last year I said that I would paint the TR7 myself, having done all of the hard work but been quoted £7k by a professional body shop to do the job. I had ambitions of building a spray booth in my garage, buying a new compressor and having hours of fun making everything BL Flamenco red.



Sometimes we have to admit defeat and have another plan. The truth was that after years of messing around with the car in primer, I just couldn't keep up with the damp in my garage. As soon as I painted it in primer over the warmer months, winter would appear and cause all sorts of mayhem. Any bare metal would oxidise and little pin pricks of corrosion started to push up through the primer. This was hopeless.



So, realising that at this rate the car would never be finished, I did an about-turn and agreed to have the work done by a professional and say "sod it" to the cost. I need the car to turn that corner, so I can get over the hump of being stuck in this never ending circle.

And so it was that last week Bessy was wheeled out of the garage and loaded on a trailer, to be bare-metaled, re-filled, filler-primed and top-coated. I have to say that I had a lump in my throat as the old girl was taken away in the rain, but hopefully when she comes back I will be bowled over.

Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment