Monday 21 January 2019

Electrics again

It's really important that before commencing the glamour jobs (like fitting the dash and interior) the electrics work 100%. I mean everything. That's a noble sentiment, I know, and so far I'd say about 70% works. Yay! However, it is the remaining 30% giving the biggest headache.

Back end wired and working. 

On a happy note, the boot/trunk is all wired up and fitted and working fine. Result!

Well, ready for driving I'd say.

On the inside, most of the dials, lamps, clocks etc work although the flashers and indicators did work but now don't. I suspect a faulty stalk switch.

I mentioned in my last post that at the last "power up", the wiper motor didn't work and got very hot. That was a blow after I had repainted it meticulously and Terry and I had spent an age fitting it. But last weekend we removed it and, with the help of Neil, totally stripped it.

Terry is our hand model today.

What we found was everything seized solid, including the gear wheel in the motor, the rack and the wheel boxes. Oh, and it was full of water which I am sure wasn't an original design feature. However, after a merry afternoon of cleaning, mending, re-lubricating and reassembly, it worked a treat when connected to a power supply. The spirits of these three grumpy old men were lifted sky high when it started whirring and doing its thing. I even made a quick video, which is so gripping that I am convinced it will go viral and become an internet sensation to rival Justin Bieber. I hope you like the arty bit at the end where it goes all out of focus.


A trade off to our success, however, is the spectacular failure of progress on the headlamp lift motors. One doesn't work and the other works in reverse. It must be a case of bad earths, or it may be any of the million and one issues commonly associated with this excellent Lucas design. More next time, if I can manage to extract myself from the engine bay.

Can I get out yet? I have been here for four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment