Monday 18 March 2019

Doors & Glass

It's amazing how a car can come to life again, isn't it? What was once a lump of rusty metal becomes almost a living thing with a regained personality. That's what's happening to my car and various items of work make the whole thing grow.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been working on all aspects of the interior and exterior trim, including the bumpers, grille, cruise light blanking plates etc but for this short post we'll concentrate on the doors and glass.

As you can see the door locks were very past their best, so were stripped and painted. This was quite a satisfying job and I am pleased with the results. There's still a bit of patina there, but I like that - they are the original locks from the car and those little dinks tell a story.
Next, the glass. Thankfully I had a complete set of new sundym glass which was patiently waiting under my bed for their day in the limelight. When that day came, I started on the quarter lights first, which was easy. A clean of the rubbers and a lick of paint to the frames, and they went in a treat. See what I mean about it coming to life?
Next stop was the drop glass, which was a real pain. Starting with a pile of bits I had to transfer the bottom retaining rail to the new glass, which was no fun. Then it had to be hefted into place and lined up with the new regulators.
Getting the whole lot to align was a nightmare, as you have to get three lobes on the regulators to fit in various channels in both the door frame and under the glass. I had less hair immediately prior to this job, but in the end we got there.
More next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment