Sunday 30 September 2012

Rear floor - nearside Part 1

There wasn't much time this weekend to get into the garage, but I did manage to make up a repair panel for the edge of the rear floor, where it meets the inner sill, and weld it in. The central section of the rear floor is sound, however the edge section where it meets the inner sill is shot. Having bought a load of very good sheet metal from a seller on ebay, I made up a repair section which I was pretty pleased with.

At this point I should say that this section is being done at the same time as the rear bulkhead/trailing arm mount areas, so both posts are kind of inter-changeable.


After painting the repair panel in weld-through primer, I drilled some holes to allow for plug welding it to the inner sill and chassis member, then got welding. Today I decided to turn up the amps on the welder and see what happened on this thin sheet metal. Sure, there were some initial blow-throughs but I learned that by going slowly and in very short bursts it could be done. Overall I am happy with the results - next time I just have to grind the welds down and make it all look nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment