Sunday 9 March 2014

Rear Wing - Offside - Part 4

Hello! it's been a while!

The reason for the lack of posts of late isn't due to a lack of activity, but is down to my camera running out of batteries and me forgetting to buy some replacements.

I have been pottering in and out of the garage over the last few weeks - stripping here, painting there - and between jobs trying to sort out the rear outer wheel arch. You'll remember that I welded in a new arch to the wing, and since then have been trying to get the profile right.

In essence it isn't right yet, but it is getting there. Knowing as I do that these things must be perfect for the eye to wash over them when painted, I am willing to put in a lot of time over this.


Things aren't helped by the fact that I should have butt welded the new lip in place, but instead I let the two panels overlap a bit. That is always the dilemma, as butt welding always runs the risk of blowing through and ruining everything. At the time, the overlap seemed safer.

The cost, of course, is more filling and a less even playing field to, er, play with. However the profile is coming on nicely now thanks to a thin skim of filler and lots of high build primer (which may I say is very pleasant to work with, not least because it smells like vanilla ice cream).


No comments:

Post a Comment