Friday 28 December 2012

Rear Wing - Nearside - Part 6

Spurred on by Kent Sandiford's email, I decided to venture back into the garage today to fix up the rear wing area. There was a lot of prep to do, from grinding down edges to be welded to drilling holes for spot welds.

I don't have many photos unfortunately, and those that I do have were taken whilst the car was turned on its side on the spit. However, I will try to talk you through it.

Basically, I clamped everything up and went for it. There, that's it! None of it was too difficult, although the lower leading edge of the wing, where it meets the sill, was pretty tricky as it is in a box section which made getting the MIG torch in there pretty hard. The troublesome rear inner and outer lower sill panels finally came good, even though they still don't fit right to be honest - a lot of bending had to be done. I used a combination of MIG plug and seam welds here, plus spot welds.



Rear lower sill panel (outer & inner) welded in place with a combination of MIG and spot.
The rear wing arch lip was plug welded, then the welds were ground down and treated to a skim of filler. Inside the boot all was well, with the new section of boot floor going in nicely. I didn't weld the boot gutter channels or rear lamp panel to the rear wing, as I think I am going to change the rear lamp panel at some point soon.


Boot floor repair and lower rear edge of rear wing welded in place.


Outer arch plug welded to the inner arch.
One "minor" point is that the door does not now fit very well, even though it did when clamped up. Oh well, I will deal with that later. I am sure some shims and some brute force will help. I also came across some nice holes in the "inner" inner wheel arch, especially around the seat belt anchorage. Another job to do.

Rot around the seat belt anchor plate.
Some more near the rear strut.




No comments:

Post a Comment