Wednesday 18 January 2012

Here's a bit of a new chapter. Having repaired the off-side floors and windscreen surround/scuttle at my old house over 10 years ago, I then lost interest and just left it.

Fast-forward to around six years ago and the car was in the new garage and I was ready to have another go. I decided to fix the very rotten spare wheel well. These are unavailable new, so I bought a second hand one and used it to make repair panels.

As is often the case, meticulous prep did not result in a perfect job. It all looked lovely, right up until the point of stitching in the new metal. Then the welding gremlins returned and the finished result looked like it was done by Dot Cotton. Damn I was upset.

Holes

More holes

New panel lined up

I made up a repair section for the bulkhead part...

...held it in place with intergrips...

...then tacked it in place. So far so good.

Then Dot Cotton struck again. Why couldn't I weld properly?

I don't have a close-up of the actual well going in, but here is
the finished article. It still needs the welds grinding down, which
will probably take all day and cause the panel to fall out.





No comments:

Post a Comment