Thursday 19 January 2012

Near-side A-post

I wasn't sure how best to present this to you, as it is very linked with doing the near side sills. In this section the sills have already been replaced. However, I will leave the latter to a later post.

Pretty much the whole of the lower part of the A-post had rotted away, but I really did not want to tackle replacement of the sturdy (and strongly welded) lower door hinge as that brought to mind all sorts of visions of poor door fit later. No, the hinge would have to stay.

So, after a lot of head scratching, I bought a whole factory "A-post lower assembly" from Rimmer Bros (WKC189/90) which as I recall was about the same price as buying the hinge alone, then cut out the sections I needed. These were then welded around hinge, having cut out the rusty metal. Again, too much weld came out but it is strong and I was getting more confident. A (fairly large) skim of filler will smooth everything out.

A-post to sill section

New bottom section of A-post.

No comments:

Post a Comment